PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2020, 16:21
Lost on the Tundra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to wonder... if after another incident directly attributable to gross pilot error, and/or some impossible to reasonably foresee design "flaw" (NOT saying PIA 8303 is such, yet) inflamed public pressure (see now fully systemic media hysteria) on regulators/politicians leads to manufacturers/lessors being barred from supplying aircraft to ... erm, non-compliant airlines, and the ensuing somewhat justifiable cries of the r word when most of the world's airlines are forced to fly TU154b's!

Commercial transport, I would argue, has entered an entirely futile and moribund phase of existence where any and all incidents are just more nails in the coffin, unless some broadly acceptable new way forward is established.

How exactly does one reintroduce acceptable risk in our increasingly and relentlessly risk-averse society? My feeling is we have reached the apex of airliner design and automation and Artificial Incompetence is simply not a path forward for the foreseeable future.

Don't even ask me what that way forward is! I'm just a lowly PPL that becomes heavily task-saturated whilst walking and chewing gum at the same time. My speculation may be a tad hyperbolic, but some variant of the theme could/should prove an entirely reasonable subject to ponder.