PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - constant speed or variable speed approach
Old 4th Jul 2020, 15:10
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
Absolutely, positively not. But that figure does not show rotor vortices. Not only is entirely clear from the drawings in the figure, the damn figure is labeled "Effect of Ground Vortex on Inflow Patterns" (emphasis mine).
So you think the ground has a vortex????

The ground vortex in the diagrams is caused by the rotor and the point I am still trying to make is that you have to get through those vortices to get to ETL - it is just more noticeable nearer the ground because the rotor wake doesn't contract as it would in a free air hover. And then as you reduce speed, those same vortices impinge on the rotor. In both cases they cause vibration. Remember what I said about a boundary for ETL.

As I said before - just go out and try my slow and steady transition to forward flight and tell me if it rolls BEFORE the vibration or not. Perhaps you will then acknowledge that transverse flow just produces roll, not vibration.

And before you say we are supposed to be talking about an approach - the same rotor vortices are what the blades are bumping into to cause the vibration when you make an approach just above ETL.