PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoreham Airshow Crash Trial
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2020, 13:33
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KarlADrage
DAs are not type specific, let alone sub-type specific. They are category specific, however.
I am afraid that, as a DAE with Category G on my approval, I must correct you. In Category G (single engine jets) DAs are type specific. Therefore, AH would have had a DA for 'Cat G (Hunter)'. They do not differentiate between different Marks of a given type. DAE approvals are by Category only and not by type. Please note that since this accident Cat G has been further subdivided into G1 and G2 for straight wing and swept wing single engine jets although this makes no practical difference to the award of a DA but it does with respect to currency..

The difference in maximum thrust available between Hunters with Avon 200 series engines (F(GA)9, F58 etc) and those with Avon 100 series engines (eg. T7) makes no real difference to how you fly a display. I have practised in a T7 for a F(GA)9 display without any changes to how I flew, other than considerations for the reduced external view to the right due to the cockpit and canopy shape. A manoeuvre flown in a 200 engine Mark at full throttle should be capable of being flown in exactly the same way and from the same airspeed in an aircraft with a 100 series engine. If it cannot then, in my opinion, insufficient safety margin has been allowed.