PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reasoned discussion anyone?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2020, 09:55
Manwell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by finestkind
The meaning of life. One could state there is no meaning with an argument of prove this wrong. We are born, we breed, and we die. The difference between us and our ancestors is life style, which for many in improvised countries has no difference. Or state that there is an ultimate meaning to life ranging from finding all the names for God (forget which short story this can be attributed to) and when this is done the lights (star’s) go out, too becoming enlightened beings (which given our short time here may have some merit)

I find the more “mature” I get the more the old sayings are not just sayings. Man’s inhumanity to man has been displayed time and time again.
I know what you mean about old sayings finestkind, but regarding man's inhumanity to man, there is a method in the madness that makes it all good, surprisingly. I would both disagree and agree with the idea that there is no difference between us and our ancestors. We are fundamentally the same, made from the same stuff, and filled with the same life giving force, in fact we might even be them in different form. But that doesn't mean we are exactly the same as them fundamentally, we're hopefully advanced a bit, although the opposite could also be true in our case. In simple terms, the RAAF motto is instructive. Per Ardua Ad Astra - Through Adversity To The Stars. Maybe, To the stars is meant literally, and the only way to get there is through adversity.

No-one can prove anything to anyone who doesn't want to let go of their previous illusions, but that makes sense too in the grand scheme of things.