PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SA 17yr old student crash
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2020, 03:19
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
What are you insinuating?
That is a perfectly normal number.
I'm insinuating nothing, just curious. I'm not up on the norms of pre solo experience in the present time. My recollection of solo times when I learned to fly back the '70's is more like the 10 to 15 hours otherwise mentioned. As I waited to be old enough to go solo, I flew extra dual, waiting for my birthday to pass, I think I was at 13 hours to solo. Perhaps this student too achieved more hours while waiting for a birthday.

Yes, the condition of the airplane came to mi mind too. An investigation will know exactly what to look for in that. PA-28's are well understood...

Certainly, sadly, many very experienced pilots have accidents with great similarity to this one. Honestly (and very non sarcastically) I wonder how we old, early solo'ers, survived with how little we knew, before we were set loose. I remember clearly, decades later, my first solo in a helicopter, spending the first 15 minutes wondering if I had what it took - and that was with 7000 hours of fixed wing time already. I think I knew how little I actually knew about the helicopter. But, my instructor decided I was ready, and I had no surprises, so I guess he was right.

Yes, this is terribly sad, and can only add to every instructor's sense of importance to train in basic handling skills, and recognition of approach to loss of control...