PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair GPWS @ Bergerac
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2020, 14:56
lederhosen

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I think we are all on the same page that you can't do it without the chart (which is why I said in the good old bad old days). My company very clearly introduced guidelines about fifteen years ago about what you could and could not do. In the dim and distant past I remember flying into a new airfield that was not in the database (although I did have the charts). As it was the inaugural flight we needed some common sense and an explicit authorisation from the chief pilot to avoid red faces all round. We then merrily flew self constructed NDB approaches for several days before someone managed to update the database. Fortunately it was good weather and I had an excellent copilot later one of our checkers. Reminds me of the old line 'be nice to your co-pilot one day he might be your checker'. In this case they seem to have rushed the preparation, the pilot flying had some finger trouble with the FMC and when it started to go wrong I would not be surprised if they were both heads down trying to work out what was wrong with the FMS and nobody was really flying the aircraft as it descended in vertical speed, before the GPWS saved the day.