PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N72EX (Kobe Bryant) Crash Reconstruction with new ATC Audio
Old 3rd Jul 2020, 09:56
HissingSyd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ascend Charlie
I felt like I was rotating backwards out of my seat, a very powerful feeling. Lucky I wasn't on the controls at the time.
Maybe something similar happened here, he starts a turn, introduces a climb, turns his head to look for a visual feature, feels he is falling backwards and pokes the nose down...
I came to that conclusion from my personal experience early in the previous topic.

Originally Posted by [email protected]
It comes down to training and practice in the end - as we all knew.
It is impossible to describe the sensation or to train for it, but good, current IF experience must help, and IF in cloud.

In initial flying training we had a week for aero-medicine. This included a session using a rotating chair, first to demonstrate the leans. Then, eyes closed and chin on chest we were spun again, quite slowly, and after a few seconds told to look up. Many of us flung ourselves from the chair trying to find where up and down were. This experience is rather like doing the dunker - it lets you deal with the real situation because you already know how terrifying it might be. Yes, I have escaped from a ditched helicopter, too. ;-)

I have experienced the leans 'under the hood'
With reference to what was said the blog, I think it is worth emphasising that these coriolis effects are quite different from the leans, which is itself dangerous enough.

If you want a challenge as an Instrument Flying instructor, try recovering from a student's 'leans-induced' unusual attitude where height, heading and speed (not to mention glideslope and centreline) have gone badly awry at 3 miles on the ILS, IMC with a 300' cloudbase.
I recollect being given unusual attitudes to recover from during IF training,