PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 23:40
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gums
I am more familiar with the 330 due to the 447 discussions some years back, but your FBW has a lot more modes and submodes
True, though rated pilots might find your re-phrasing a bit coarse around the edges. The gear v.s. HAL was what I was pointing at, meaning to say apart from the F/CTL FWB, the A320 is a totally conventional aircraft. Vilas pointed the rest.

For your Q about verifying lights and levers for the final checks: Yes we do, and other pilots too. Typically challenge-response read from a laminated check-list, confirmed by both pairs of eyes.

Unlike the doomed crew. Come to think of it, once they already raised the L/G thinking they were lowering it, touching the lever would not amount to much. The lights would be showing nothin, with gear up and closed. ... why no "3 greens check"??? Well, easy. Normally the ECAM upper screen displays abbreviated "LDG MEMO" with 5 action lines, that change as you finish the individual items (arm spoilers, LG/DN). Hence we verify (from the paper C/L) "ECAM MEMO? .... (displayed) LANDING: (showing) NO-BLUE" I.e. we look at the ECAM for LANDING memo, that is showing all green text with no blue action items left.

The memo comes up automatically whenever RA<2500 ft (large A/C passing below you in cruise, you will get it at 35k - like I said, no HAL apart from the F/CTL). The problem for the PIA flight is that the LDG MEMO occupies the same ECAM screen space on the upper display unit (called Engine/Warning Display) as any ABN warning will and those take precedence. Hence in overspeed it shows OVERSPEED in red letters and the applicable limiting speed, and no LDG memo.

There are 3 green triangles showing on the panel above the gear lever, but those we do not really check actively, it's done via the ECAM LDG MEMO. For normal landing, the lower DU shows ECAM "WHEEL page" with another 3+3 green triangles, ... the page automatically comes on with ... you guessed right: selecting the L/G down. Malakia.

Basically, if you attempt to land this aeroplane in flap overspeed and ignore the landing paper check-list (which even lists the 5 action lines in print, in case the screen went T.U.), it is perfectly possible to land gear up unnoticed, unless you notice.