PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair GPWS @ Bergerac
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 22:23
JPJP

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Herod
Wiggy: plus one. Seems you are the only one on here who knows how to fly an NDB. The worst bit to me, apart from being badly positioned, is that when the EGPWS went off, they were already 400' BELOW the beacon crossing height. Retires to box, awaiting comments.
With respect, there’s two discussions going on, and you’re missing one of them. I understand where you’re coming from; I flew the 300/500 and now the NG (and MAX during its brief appearance). The fact that the NDB approach went awry is established. As well as how the approach would be flown ‘traditionally’. The method you’re stuck on is the least safe, the least accurate and the most screwed up. As evidenced by this event.

What you’re missing is the fact that an NDB approach in 2015, in an NG could be flown using more than one method, depending on the Ops Spec and equipment (and we haven’t even started on IAN yet).

BTW - An NDB app would be flown in HDG mode - If you’d run out of ideas, or you’re a masochist or stuck in 1970. LNAV is also an option with the ADF being monitored. You can’t “confirm with LNAV”, it’s a mode. And you can’t have both at once. You can confirm your lateral track, which is what I assume you meant.

Cheers