PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 17:20
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Sorry, Detent, but that dog won't hunt.

the A320 is a very conventional design, no HAL. Although the FBW has hard limits at the envelope's edges.
I am more familiar with the 330 due to the 447 discussions some years back, but your FBW has a lot more modes and submodes and "shaping" algorithms of control surface movement and rates than so-called "protection" at the edges of the envelope. e.g. bank angle and other limits vary according to which "alternate:" law you are in until "direct".

The raising of the gear and retraction of speed-brakes at 5 NM on the first approach, is consistent with crew wanting to put the gear down but not realizing it already was. So the handle was just moved the other way.The G/A gear flick DN and UP identically so.
My diagrams of the instrument panel seem to show a handle and adjacent indicator just above the center pedestal. Clearly marked "up" and "down". So your last minute checks don't involve touching or visually verifying the position and the lights?

If it was not for the high speed, the GPWS would have told them as well.
I thot HAL knew if gear was down for a landing and the FBW was switching into the "flare" mode at "x" altitude above the ground/runway. So can I perform CFIT by just getting above "x" speed with gear up? Somehow, I thot GPWS/HAL would have said something. "Dave? Sure you wanna try this?" I gotta admit they "greased it on", but maybe that was because they were not in "flare" mode, which seems to be almost pure "direct" law with "heavier" pitch command deflection.

Oh well, back to the Tech Log.....