PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Harris a 'colonial warmonger'
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2020, 20:02
racedo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vortex Hoop
Comparing Bomber Harris in an argument about historical revisionism to Hitler and Stalin is pretty distasteful.
Nope because ALL are dead, all had a major part in WW2 and all have been subject to revisionism with some whose character has been amended because of history because today people wishes to judge people differently.

My use of Adolf and Josef was to show that picking selective areas and a bucket of whitewash can even make the vilest dictator appear "reasonable".

It still doesn’t change the fact that area bombing was the right thing to do, and it worked.
As a weapon of terrorising the population in did, as a means of destroying German war industry it is questionable.

ISTR a Harris quote: “They called us criminals, but what would they have said of us had we lost?”
He would have been classified as a War criminal and executed after a speedy trial, mind you doubt the trial bit.

I do not judge him on today, I judge him on WW2, he was appropriate for the time but soon as it is over you need military people like this removed from any type of power.
They understand war BUT do not understand peace.

Gen George Patton / Douglas McArthur are others who understood war but not peace.