PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2020, 17:23
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Thank you, Olster. And good stuff from vilas ( 95% of the time, LOL). And point taken Detent.

My goal was to get over to the tech log and talk about the profile and the gear logic. Someplace it was mentioned that you couldn't lower the gear above "xxx" knots, and I unnerstan that. But then what happens when it's down and you exceed "xxx" knots? Does HAL raise the gear?

Simple question, but instead the thread was deleted and over here with armchair aviation afficianodos and a few real pilots/crew we still keep harping on ethnic and cultural crapola. I know that those elements of the bidness can play a role in accidents and just as well as super airmanship. I would prefer the cultural stuff to stay here and get the technical stuff over on the technical forum.

As far as the military debriefs go, the first 737 crash would not have happened in any unit I ever flew with if we flew that type. Good friggin' grief. To fly a leg with the shaker going and turning off stuff to fly completely manual ( glad those folks could do it for the sake of the SLF riding behind them), and then not putting that into the maintenance log? BEAM ME UP!!! Whenever we had a strange thing happen we talked about it. We also spared no feelings when debriefing the sorry performance of any of us. No room for a thin skin or PC stuff, none.

@detent We indeed have a few "light" types that have ditching or dead stick procedures - very few. I only flew three with the dead stick procedure and did it for real one day. We also had procedures for landing with partial gear down. I would have had no qualms about setting down the Viper in the weeds, but a water ditch would be very problematic due to the intake position. The A-37 could easily be set down on most corn fields/ rivers and you could walk away. In any case, I appreciate the "heavy" folks that don't have the nylon letdown that I had for so many years.