PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nikki Lauda to buy Aero Lloyd
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2003, 23:15
Oscar Duece

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish Nikki Lauda to buy Aero Lloyd

Form ITV Formula 1 website:

Niki Lauda has taken control of a struggling German airline and is to bring low-cost flights to Germany, Austria and beyond.

Lauda left the F1 paddock at the end of 2002 after a turbulent stint at Jaguar.

A parting of the ways saw the energetic Austrian receive a pay-off amounting to several million pounds as the Big Cat sought to cut costs.

The perfect springboard then for Lauda to get straight back into business.

However one of the separation clauses meant he was unable to be involved with another F1 team for a year.

But that wasn’t going to halt the former world champion’s ambitions.

He spent the early part of the year launching LaudaMotion which rents out a fleet of Smart cars at £1 per day by offering advertising on them.

And now this week it has been announced that he’s going back into the airline business as he took over Aero Lloyd.

He plans a budget style service along the lines of EasyJet and RyanAir.

Speaking in last Sunday’s Telegraph, Lauda said, “I believe in living a life that involves a lot of risk.

“If you don’t take risks, you can expect it to be a success. It would be far too boring.

“But don’t leap without preparing. That’s not how you win races. But you need to be physically and mentally fit to be a winner on the track, and it’s the same in business.

“I take my time to prepare the ground and then I go for it. That’s because you might have a great idea, but if you choose the wrong moment economically to launch it, it will still be a failure.

“Of course, you do also have to be prepared to take advantage of lucky breaks, but with preparation you can give luck the best chance.”

Lauda ran a hugely successful airline, LaudaAir until 2000 before finally selling out to Austrian Airlines.

He was world champion in 1975 and 1977 with Ferrari and capped an amazing driving career as he won the title for a third time in 1984 with McLaren.

“Racing taught me not to hold back if you want to be a winner.

“That’s why I have had so many ups and downs.

”But if nothing else, I can at least say it’s never been dull.”

Amen to that, Niki.

A good thing or a pipe dream ??