PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISCOUNT ACCIDENT 70s (SPEKE)
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2003, 22:56
BEXIL160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re the EGTE accident...

I've got a bit of a dubious connection here as my uncle (Roy Dyer... taken from us early sadly) was the ATCO doing the SRA to rwy26. Anyway, he told me that the Crew just stopped talking and the primary blip just wandered off the tube. There was no mention of a fuel problem.

Anyway to the cause. AFAIK the fuel guages on the aircraft were known to be U/S and the crew (Capt Whittaker?) were using the Fuel Flow Meters for planning. This was their Fourth rotation of the day and there was some confusion as to exactly HOW MUCH fuel had been added in Santander, where the a/c had come from. The tanks had not been dipped.

The crew did consider that all was not well, and had considered a diversion to Jersey or Guernsey on the return, but opted to continue to Exeter... where they ran out fuel and carried out a forced landing (wheels up) in the dark, in a field. Casulaties? A few sheep. Pax and crew all safe

I remember the night itself fairly well, because on the same night a Cessna 150 got lost in poor wx near Plymouth and made a precautionary landing on a football field next to the Wrigleys chewing Gum factory. I know, 'cos I was there. Later down the pub my mates told me about a "plane making a forced landing". "Yeah", says I "I know all about it"...... except I didn't know about the Viscount!

Forgive me launching down memory lane, somebody, somewhere might be interested...no, oh.. ummm.... sorry.... I'll get my coat....

Rgds
BEX