PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - constant speed or variable speed approach
Old 1st Jul 2020, 02:43
Agile

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Great feedback, the point related in the answers have concentrated what has been running in my head for a long time.

Good point I concur from Ascend Charlie: Let the collective-up increase your flap back and kill your speed as you keep apparent speed above your toes constant, keeping the apparent speed constant is effectively a gradual deceleration because the closer you get to the ground the faster is the apparent speed is. I got that well practiced and it looks gorgeous, so when I want to play it super safe (family is on board or whatever) I request the runway and make it to the number in variable speed, I can abort at any time by a gentle push forward. But there are those few second where the speed is below the green arc and the height is too high for an engine misfortune at that speed (single).

Good point I got form FH1100 Pilot, So I have been practicing hours of variable speed approach and yes the timing has to be exquisite, my interpretation is that when it is perfectly balanced it is indeed very close to an autorotative approach and could bring you to touch down safely more or less regardless of power reserve. But then there had been time when the wind changes direction or the tarmac on a hot summer day keeps a few meters of high temperature air by radiation of the black surface. And then your great timing yet sends you sinking and clenching your teeth.

Robbiee: I had that figured out too, check pilot always nod at a fine variable speed approach, the other always prefer to save 2 min on the odometer.