PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The true number of displaced (redundant) pilots
Old 30th Jun 2020, 09:10
ShortfinalFred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“Probably because in EASA land most of the applicants had never flown anything but what the flight school had, and then ended up RHS in an A320 etc with a couple of hundred hours total time.”

I disagree with this sweeping assertion based on twenty eight years in professional aviation here in Europe. The copilots I flew with came from a multitude of backgrounds: ex military, ex GA, ex regional, ex low cost. There were quite a few who had been to an ‘airline academy’ but not the majority I would say.

Call me all the names you like J3, but the person who wrote the opinion that your ‘Optimistic’ (sic) correspondent dismissed out of hand (‘bashed’) identified as being a Brit, hence my comment. I also disagree with ‘Optmist’s’ assertion that ‘things are different in Australia’. You have your own schools (FTA Adelaide to name but one) turning out trainees of the 200 hour variety and I’m sure not all of them only went into GA.

I’d add that many of the co-pilots I flew with who had come out of schools like that were highly talented pilots in their own right and I’ve no doubt that they’d adapt right back into a GA environment very well. I therefore strongly disagree with the dismissive tone of ‘Optimists’ post in that score too.

Finally, all of my nieces have emigrated to Australia, a wonderful country full of outgoing, hospitable, friendly people. It’s always a pleasure to visit them. They and their families love it there and I can see why.