PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 29th Jun 2020, 15:17
White Van Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by B744IRE
Their money-purchase pension fund will have dropped 35% (like mine) and the pension will be £25K a year.
Haha I have joined BA in my 30s, and £25k/yr pension was what I was expecting if everything went to plan, working full time till 65. (Total BARP fund around £500k @5%). Covid And any other major upsets will reduce it from this figure!
Looking forward, if I am looking at £30k for a new set of pearly whites in retirement, I honestly think I'll be looking at dentures instead. That's after a full career in aviation, 25-30yrs in BA.
No ill feeling B744IRE, it just goes to show how far the industry has already fallen.

Originally Posted by Whitemonk Returns
If you go after the guys at the top, guess what, by the time you get there it won't look very pretty.
I completely agree. I am squarely in the firing line at the bottom of the list. But I could not support going after the senior guys because they are more expensive because hopefully one day I will be in that position! Seniority is hard earned in this company.

To round off, I wouldn't hold a grudge against any senior pilot deciding to keep their position at the expense of a junior. All individual circumstances are different and we need to respect that. But if one decides to step aside as they are already financially secure and maybe not as enthralled with the job/company as they once were, then I am very thankful for the knock on effect down at my end of the list.