PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 29th Jun 2020, 09:04
M.Mouse

Controversial, moi?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I can honestly say I’ve never worked with a more selfish pilot body than I have at BA. It’s not every pilot obviously, but it is a sizeable minority mainly skewed to long haul who have consistently chosen to protect their own at the expense of sharing the pain. PP34, JSS, etc, these things do not appear in a vacuum.
BA pilots may or may not be selfish and you may or may not believe that but to state that 'a sizeable minority mainly skewed to long haul who have consistently chosen to protect their own at the expense of sharing the pain. PP34, JSS, etc, these things do not appear in a vacuum.' is utter nonsense. With an increase of 10 years of the retirement age do you believe that BA would have been happy to have pilots sit on the highest pay point for an extra ten years, bear in mind the highest pay points had big incremental rises in the last few years because the (then) final salary pension was based on pay in the last few years? That was why the 34 point scale was introduced and there was little anybody could have done to prevent it.

If you had actually been in the company for longer you would know the history behind the changes mentioned and that the options were limited.

In the current climate I do not see BA rushing to make the most junior on say the B787 or B777 to make way for a senior pilot from a contracting fleet, e.g. the B747, to take that position with all the associated re-training costs involved. It has been mentioned previously and often that simple LIFO is legally questionable.