PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK to Decommission 50%+ of Airbus A380, Axe 1/2 of Pilots & Cabin Crew
Old 28th Jun 2020, 16:05
VThokie2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FatPilot
In fact they used to have a very effective training dept in 90s and into 2000s however as it got bigger and bigger it was infiltrated by the lesser and lesser skilled and third world who then "taught" the new joiners who then got into training themselves and before long you had a couple of thousand qualified pilots who knew none of the finer points but still couldn't be told a thing by the line captains, many of whom were equally clueless anyway. Is that accurate? Some of the safety reports you used to read before they clammed up were just mind blowing.
Yup that pretty much nails it....I wish I had the presence of mind to keep a few of those weekly safety report write ups, I try to convey what EK was like to my coworkers here at home and those reports would be eye opening for them. I did save my training reports for a good laugh...”sorry mate I’m gonna have to give you a 3 for SOP because you said “check” and not “check’ed” and you missed the “FL200 climbing FL360 call”, it’s still passing... more for your benefit than for mine!”... yea whatever, sign my certificate of test and let me go home!

I’m so glad I’m at an operator where we get checked every 12 months, relatively low threat. Line ops is low threat, if u screw something up It just goes in as a datapoint for the safety and/or training dept. No retribution, punishment. Any redundancies will be done in reverse seniority order with recall rights. Every week throughout this crisis our top executive leadership holds virtual “washups” with about an hour of Q+A. Maybe EK could take some pointers.

The only good thing I can say about EK was for the most part out on the line it was an outstanding group of pilots to fly with, at least when I was there.

Last edited by VThokie2; 28th Jun 2020 at 16:21.