PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The true number of displaced (redundant) pilots
Old 28th Jun 2020, 16:00
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Overspeed1
When I started training in 2006 all people could tell me was what a great time I was starting my career, jobs a plenty etc. then in 2007 the gfc hit and everything turned to ****e...

Plenty of people quit training but those of us willing to listen to the advice of the old boys got told to stick with it and the industry will sort itself out. They were right.
It’s hard to pick the bottom of cyclic wave of pilot hiring, and it’s even harder to calculate what the employment market will be like in 12-18 months when you do graduate with all your qualifications. Truth is if you delay it until things pick up and don’t start your training until you see newly graduated CPLs are being vacuumed up as soon as they finish their training then it’s too late. It does seem counter intuitive to begin flight training when hundreds of current pilots are stood down without work.

In a way it’s a gamble, but so are many things in life. If this downturn causes a lot of current pilots to retire or leave the industry, and a lot of those who were planning to begin training in the next year now decline to, a quick turnaround in 18 months when a pilot who starts training today finishes their CPL will put them in a great position. Or it could be the opposite. Like I said it’s all a gamble. In a recession a lot of other professions and industries will be in the same boat. There’s really no such thing as a safe bet in any job these days