PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2020, 15:45
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by giggitygiggity
CanadianAirbusPilot

Is trying that in the sim really good training for crews? It will just make people more likely to press on with a very hot and high approach because 'it might just work out'. I reckon I could get it down, but practising it in the sim with an aim to prove that it is no big deal and possibly a bad idea.
That’s a reasonable point but on the whole I would say it is good training in what the aircraft is capable (or not capable) of. As long as the SAC are attained and maintained, then it’s using the tools in the box.

Yes, more track miles is often the best answer, if you can get them, but it is also important to a) be able to recognise a developing rushed approach, b) actually do something about it rather than hope and c) have the capacity to make a yes/no decision and take action on it before the final stability gate arrives to force the issue. We added some modules in my airline sim training covering this and, if sensibly run, it adds value.

If you’ve had a few oddball approaches thrown at you for practice, then when the real thing happens it is not a voyage of discovery through the ocean of energy management. I think it has to be stressed that it is not a competition to see who can get in from the highest/fastest/closest but about developing handling/decision making skills and CRM. Train hard, fight easy, etc.