PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2020, 03:37
Lonewolf_50

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally Posted by giggitygiggity
The magenta line video supposes an excellent solution, but frankly, but I'm afraid that it's nearly 30 years out of date.
I'm going to gently disagree with you here.
The point of the children of the magenta line video is that some pilots are no longer as familiar with how to fly the plane as they were before over-dependence on automation became a norm.

Power plus attitude equals performance is shorthand for something slightly more complex, particularly in the terminal environment:
Power plus attitude plus configuration equals performance.

But the other element that CotML addressed is that you need to stay mentally ahead of the aircraft to get it to do what you want it to do-this is true regardless of the level of automation that your particular aircraft has.

Over reliance on automation, which you seem to advocate in that post, trains you in the opposite of that, hence that well known presentation on the magenta line.

It seems clear that this crew could not, and did not, put together how power, attitude and configuration would get them the performance they needed to make a stable approach and a safe landing.
That's a part of the problem.

The other part being (perhaps) that they got behind the aircraft (for a reason not yet specified) and did not get their descent planned and organized before for they hit the gate (ToD parameters) - they got behind the aircraft early (apparently, while at cruising altitude).
I'll hazard a guess (and possibly be wrong) that being used to the automation taking care of a lot of things for them made them more susceptible to that category of error. The CoTML presentation remains a useful word of caution, at the very least.

And it is a caution: most days of the week, that well automated model of aircraft is flown and successfully hits the gates needed to approach and land safely at airports all over the world.