PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Covid-19 and first class medical
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2020, 21:41
A0283

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joejosh999
It’s the long term effects I wonder about.
In US the military ... That does make me wonder if they know a bit more about this virus than they’re letting on. Permanent lung/organ damage maybe, such that high level fitness cannot be achieved. Worrisome.
Too early to say what long term effects will be... so it would surprise me that any organisation would take such a strong stand at this stage. What already is an issue to monitor though, is possible long term damage to parts of the nervous system and their effects. There have been studies published about that for at least two months. One example is persisting loss of smell and taste, even after mild cases. Such damage, if proven, will certainly set corona apart from the regular flu.
A more recent investigation wondered if neurological damage could explain loss of lung and organ functionality leading to deaths.
In line with this, an open question is if children and young people who get corona, but have no or mild symptoms, may still suffer neurological damage. They just dont know at this stage.
It is science.. science needs good data.. needs peer review .. and needs confirmation... this takes time...

Last edited by A0283; 27th Jun 2020 at 22:00.