PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Covid-19 and first class medical
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2020, 15:12
kenparry

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Some decades ago a colleague died while operating as an airline captain - he had, of course, a current Class 1. It happened that he and I used the same AME. After the completion of my next Class 1 examination, I asked the AME about that incident. "How can someone with a current Class 1 die without showing problems?" His reply was that a Class 1 carries no warranty, and that I, having just passed, could easily expire in his car park before even driving away from his surgery. I felt somewhat chastened.

Later I discussed this with a fellow pilot who was also qualified as a doctor. Not only did he agree, he said that aeromedical examinations made a negligible contribution to aviation safety; and that view I have heard expressed by several who are professionally qualified to express an opinion.

That chimes with my experience in that of all the pilots I have known who have lost their Class 1, very few failed a routine renewal; the vast majority lost their medical category through events that happened at other times.

So, apart from being one of the many ticks that you need to practice your calling, a Class 1 counts for little.