PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2020, 05:41
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did not want to comment on the many inaccuracies or rather misconceptions regarding the regulations and how ATC works , but since I am grounded today due CBs here it is :

Yes normally after established on ILS and clear of other traffic an APP controller transfers the aircraft to the Tower controller who will issue a landing clearance . Keeping the aircraft on the APP frequency and issuing the landing clearance is however foreseen in the regulations (ICAO annex 11 ) and frequently done in LVP ops. Keeping the aircraft on the frequency is even recommended in case of emergency of difficulties to avoid switching frequencies and de-concentrating a crew trying to solve problems. This recommendation has been one of the recommendation and consequences of the El Al B747 accident in Amsterdam .
I am not saying this is the reason he kept it , but could well be. In any case what he did was in accordance with ICAO regulations and it made sense.
The tower controller sawing the pod strike and informing the APP controller, did the correct thing .
The APP controller not passing that info to the Crew: Does anyone honestly think that the crew did not notice they hit the runway 3 times and telling them this would have made the lightest difference to the outcome ? But having had the info, the APP controller could already treat the aircraft as an emergency before the crew declared it .
ATC is not there to fly the aircraft , speed ( when not restricted) , when and where to set flaps and gear is the PIC prerogative and we do not comment on those on the frequency ( in the bar that is another matter ). Airport controllers are here to make sure no other traffic is conflicting with you and the runway is clear and passing weather, wind and anywhere relevant information , not to tell you how to fly the aircraft.

The remark of the Pakistani aviation Minister that the controller did not follow procedures is therefore incorrect , according ICAO regulations at least ,I think he was badly advised and possibly trying to score issues with his CAA. There could be local procedures I am unaware of , but as far as we see so far ATC did nothing to contribute to this accident .