PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ pilot redundancies
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2020, 01:21
InZed

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ElZilcho
ALPA runs the risk of losing a lot of younger members to the federation over their handling of COVID-19, let alone the Tag & Release cluster. For example, many of our younger colleagues, at ALPA's advise, burned through all their annual leave by waiving the notice period to only then be made redundant.
EZ - I am one leaving the business shortly and in catch ups with other mates, I would say about a dozen of us are seriously looking to walk. We all agree that right now is not the time to walk as we have signed furlough contracts with references to ALPA documents etc.. But when it comes back to rehire, I believe I will go to FANZP. IMHO they do not have the stigma they once did attached to their name.

We get trained on the importance of communication in sims, there's networks for assistance with personal problems, EAP, and even human factors / every fleet refresher... heck the latest FR with the BA 777 crew and piss poor communication by the Capt causing evac with engines running... And here we have the command/dictator & chief of the Air NZ council screwing up the very basics of CRM and communication. I think communication and mental health is extremely important in life. It's particularly difficult in a macho culture particularly when it's predominantly male. John Kirwan lead the charge on this change... But I have heard CM talking in a group of individuals about how he thinks the "PAN network is bulls**t" and "a waste on time", and that everyone "just needs to harden up". I did not vote for him last time, and I will not vote for him (if I get the chance to vote) next time. Attitudes like that filter down. CEO/Execs/Managers or even Council Heads... that negative, archaic and self-righteous attitude is abhorent.

Originally Posted by ElZilcho
Perhaps in time, once they've down-trained enough C20's to F20 they'll take another swipe off the bottom. But that's not without it's problems. The notional list will require re-writing and the entire process will start again. We all know if there's another 100 Redundancies, those 100 places will come from the 787 Ranks, so that has to filter down and they run the risk of double-training... then re-up training again in 2022 (assuming the 800 day plan works out).
This is where I think the company (from a contractual perspective) has stuffed up. They're flogging the 787 crews in breach of section 11 of the CEA and run the risk of triggering the re-hire clause. Not because we're short on Pilots, but because we're all on the wrong fleets due the 777 grounding.
Jesus Christ. Dare I say that letting KW or JW walk in the middle of all this process and replacing them with Carrie... might not have been a great move. Gotta feel for the new guy with no pilot knowledge walking straight into the middle of this **** show and trying to get his head around all of the contracts, variations and clauses/protections.

Some clear direction and CONSISTENCY is important during times like this. Jacinda saw the importance of this and kept David Clarke as Health Minister even after his numerous F ups... And the Qantas board has asked Alan Joyce to stick around for consistency of delivery for the recovery also. Took the helm in 2008, and will stay on until at least 2023 now... That's an exceptionally long run for a CEO in aviation.