PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Irene King (NZ's Geoffery Thomas) says that NZ needs to open borders immediately
Old 27th Jun 2020, 01:00
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Hi
Madness! Work with them as they occur? Why, just so you can have an air industry? If closed borders aren't sustainable, neither is a planet with no human population.
Your call.
Well the USA and other Countries have taken that approach. COVID is now endemic in many parts of the world to the point that unless a Vaccine is found, or the Virus mutates and dies out, we either learn to live with it or forever keep border closed. Without a Vaccine, CVOID will become the modern influenza (which does have a yearly Vaccine)

Now, I believe we still don't know enough about COVID to simply take that approach. History will decide which nations got it right and which didn't.

One thing I do find interesting however, is the daily deaths in the USA. I pay very little attention to the number of cases as it relies on testing... stop testing and you stop getting new cases But the Daily death toll is quite telling.
The USA peaked at around 2,400 daily deaths from COVID. They're at around 600 at the moment, yet the virus is spreading there unchecked. Has the Virus mutated to be less deadly? Is it the result of social distancing and PPE? Time will tell.
As more and more information comes to light from testing, we're seeing a massive rise in asymptomatic cases, or people with extremely mild symptoms. An epidemiologist from Hong Kong suggested from Antibody testing, the number of people who actually contracted COVID could be 6 times higher than we think, as many people have tested positive for Antibodies who never knew they had the Virus.
If this is true, the death rate of COVID is actually extremely low as a percentage, and the large number of deaths are a result of how easily spread the Virus is opposed to how lethal it is.

I don't have the answers, I'm just a Pilot with too much time on their hands. But, if we don't find a Vaccine, the world will need to find a way to live with COVID-19 eventually. If it's proven the Virus is really only lethal to vulnerable people, and we just need to stop it spreading, then we might simply need to re-evaluate what normal daily life is like. PPE might become the norm in the West as it is in the East.