PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 40% of Pakistani pilots hold fake flying licenses: Aviation Minister
Old 26th Jun 2020, 20:14
meleagertoo

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts
Something that our industry might take as pause for thought is that if such a large percentage of Pakistani pilots have not taken/passed the required training then what does that say about the usefulness or essential nature of that training?
40% of a nation's pilots is a statistically significant number but despite Pakinstans poor accident record by Western standards I wonder if the rate is anywhere near as high as might be expected given that figure.
On the acceptance of the figure of 40% how then is the accident rate so low given that almost half their pilots are not properly vetted?
Could it be that the vast scope and depth of Western training actually doesn't make all that much difference? That given time anyone with a modicum of ability and either a sharp pencil or a large wallet will get familiar enough to make a decent fist of it? I have come across one ot two pilots in Eu who conform to that description who have seemed quite reasonable pilots, except in pressurised circumstances.

Heretical ideas, probably. - But surely worth examining as the accident rate even in Pakistan doesn't seem to me to be even remotely close to fitting with a 40% absence of competency, licencing or examination among its pilots?

I am in no way at all justifying or promoting a reduction in training or standards, but one must ask the question that if woeful training and standards are so widespread in Pakistan why aren't their aeroplanes dropping out of the sky like flies? - we're talking 40% of pilots remember! What's the statistical likelyhood of having just one of those on board on any two crew flight? I'm not a statistician, someone else can provide that figure - but it's a bloody sight higher than 40%
So how do they get away with it?
That - 'how do they' - is something that needs to be seriously looked at and not swept under the carpet as it must have a great deal to say about Western training methods, their usefulness and efficacy.

It may well be that it really isn't too hard to fly a modern airliner fairly safely with a modicum of training until something goes wrong -especially something a bit beyond the 'normal oh-so-predictable sim emergencies", such as a situation where you land on the nacelles, deploy reverse, select TOGA, select gear down, then right back up again...and go around!

Or failing to trim a perfectly flyable aeroplane with a perfectly serviceable trim system because you've 'forgotten' you had TOGA set and you're busting VNe with flap deployed...and just gave up trying?

Or failing to recognise a simple stall all the way down from Fl380.

Food for thought - or shoot me down?

Do I hear the sound of quiet weeping from the Gods of - I'm about to swear here - @irmansh!p?

Please don't take these ideas as any hobbyhorse of mine, that aren't. I merely present them as (somewhat contentious) items for discussion that might just bring up some ideas for the betterment of Aviation.

Last edited by meleagertoo; 26th Jun 2020 at 20:38.