PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions to ask
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2003, 17:49
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jee

not really sure about in Canada (if that's where you are asking about), but certainly here in the UK all the pilot interviews I have had concentrate on you, the individual, your motivations, qualities, experiences that give the interviewer(s) an idea of how you will fit into their operation at the level they are recruiting for. Certainly tech questions can and do come into some interviews, I stress some as it is by no means all. Some airlines will now give a technical test paper if they want to test your technical knowledge. This tends to cover generics rather than type specifics and includes ATPL type knowledge such as ICAO holding speeds, transponder codes, ISA atmosphere questions, PofF, performance etc etc etc the list could go on, hence the need for a bit of research.

I would spend my time researching the potential employer (well before you get an interview) to gather as much information about them as you can, warts an' all, as that way you sound convincing when you tell them that you want to work for them as you can back the statement up with some substance. I would also be trying to find out as much as possible about their selection procedure like what tests are you likely to sit, what sort of interview is it, what sort of questions are they asking? That way you can have thought clearly before you go in about the way you would answer such questions. This day and age it's about shining at the interview, not just scraping through.

As regards your original question, a few 'snippets' of information about a fleet with a potential employer again adds credibility to your claim to want to work for that airline on that type, but I would not recommend committing power and pitch attitudes and the like to memory in preparation for a sim assessment. Take things one stage at a time, pass the interview first (or at least get the interview finished) before concentrating on a possible sim assessment. If you are moving up to a bigger type, say from turbo-prop to jet then it is worth genning up on the generic differences. I would recommend things like;

What is Mcrit?
Why do jet aeroplanes have swept wings?
What is mach tuck?
What is dutch roll?
What does a yaw damper do?
Why do jets fly higher than turbo-props?

All questions I have been asked at interview, but unless you are current on type as Aviate378 states, you are unlikely to be expected to know type specific details. If you are current on type then the sort of things I have been asked are;

Roughly how much fuel would you burn going from A to B when the flight time is 3 hrs (in a 757)? He just wanted to know if I had an idea of climb, cruise and descent fuel burns.
What requirements do you need to meet to conduct an autoland?

So to summarise, I would concentrate on your airline specific prep, then your interview technique and generic technical knowledge if I knew they were asking tech questions. Once you have finished the interview I would then start thinking about the sim assessment.

Regards

PP