PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More nonsense from Nigel - who has written a new book!
Old 26th Jun 2020, 10:46
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MG
Sorry, I had to give up. He’s complete poison and contradicts himself when he talks about the RAF telling lies and then goes on to spout the very same himself. The sooner someone takes his internet away from him, the better. He risks being a danger to good inter-service relations. Fortunately, I think the 2 services are far wiser than that and see him for what he is, a bitter old man, but I fear the media (and parliament, potentially) are still prepared to give him the time of day.
Not condoning what he says. However, my view is that there is some truth in his overall concerns at the macro level. Re the highlighted, I'm ex-FAA who worked for/with the RAF on many occasions in my 30-odd years (even having an RAF Boss/2RO and 3RO at one point) and had RAF staff working for me. I always enjoyed the interaction and, at my level, it was a "common aim" - despite some (often humorous) misunderstandings of what the other really did at times - always sorted! Sea-going Ops were a bit of a mystery at times to my RAF colleagues

At the higher "political" level, well, I was never too convinced how good inter-service relations were when it came down to things like splitting up the defence budget for example and all the horse-trading associated with that. Some was pure misunderstanding, but sometimes it seemed that the "tribal" element came to the fore - on all sides - certainly not the preserve of just one side or another (bringing the Pongoes into the mix as they were involved too). Some decisions such as the demise of JFH even took some of the Light Blue by surprise. That was an outcome widely discussed/predicted within the FAA when JFH was first set up.

As with all of this (and you think Industry is better? - seen some spectacular in-fighting and "empire builders" at work there while I worked outside!!!! ) the truth is there but so clouded by spin/rumour/messdeck "dits", that it's hard to know what is what. Unfortunately, even within a single Service, there are "empires to be forged"/"Knighthoods to be won" - so even within a Service some decisions are, should we say, "interesting"! What helps no-one is when, seemingly in this case, it all turns into a bit of a rant.

Proof of all of this? Well, as in all such cases, so much is "smoke and mirrors" so who knows. It's like a family row between parents when you were a kid. You know that something is not quite right at the dinner table, but have no idea what it's all about and even less idea who may be in the right - if there is a "right". So, after 3 decades, that's the conclusion I reached in my own mind. I was lucky tho, my RAF colleagues were a great bunch and I had a good time .... and jointly we did a lot of good - well, I think so at any rate! But I could be biased!!!!!

Just my view FWIW. H 'n' H