PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ pilot redundancies
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2020, 05:16
InZed

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ElZilcho
Yes once the 777 Pilots move across IP will likely go down on the 787, however 787 Pilots are also being moved down the A320.
Still yet to hear exactly how the shuffle is going to happen. Company seems adamant they can do the notional process in one sweep. There's been some push-back on this from the Pilot group however, as it should be done by fleet/rank so any notional vacancies can filter down (specifically C20).

As I read section 11 of the CEA, especially 11.5.2.1, I don't think they can keep flogging the 787 crews above 75 hours for more than 3 rosters. Desperate times and all with COVID, but it seems silly to not utilize the 777 a bit more to spread the work around during the re-shuffle.

In terms of the Ballot, they go hand in hand. The 60IP trigger to re-hire Pilots is only valid for the duration of the AFFA. If we vote not to extend it, then the we give the Company the ability to flog us on max hours without hiring anyone back. Even at 100hrs, IP is still cheaper than hiring more Pilots. I believe being consistently above 80-85 causes Flight and Duty limitations and increase in sickness, but if that becomes the re-hiring trigger then it could be a long wait for those to come back.

Personally, as long my colleagues are redundant I'll be voting to extend it.
I agree with your last statement 100%. And with IP I believe it’s long haul vs short haul IP... so the average of 60 hrs across the 787/777 (eg. 85hrs on the 787 and 25hrs on the 777 is still under the threshold). If I understand correctly.

I really feel for the regional guys that are furloughed and in no mans land right now. No time frame and no promises. If regional captains aren’t moving to the jets, then they’re not going to get rehired anytime soon either. They could be there for years... although that’s was the furloughed jet guys are realistically looking at, even if the AFFA goes for a round 2 (18mths) or even round 3 (27mths).

We are all just sitting around anxious at the uncertainty...

Meanwhile, a friend from Menzies said that Emirates is limiting the number of passenger arrivals into AKL due to the MOH running low on available hotel rooms in the north half of the north island... Glad I’m sitting at home tbh.