PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2020, 16:07
Lonewolf_50

Received 395 Likes on 245 Posts
This part (among others) has me scratching my head.
Originally Posted by interim report
20 (e) “Karachi Approach” inquired “confirm track mile comfortable for descend” and later advised to take an orbit, so that the aircraft can be adjusted on the required descend profile. No orbit was executed and the effort to intercept the glide slope and localizer (of ILS) was continued. The FDR indicated action of lowering of the landing gears at 7221 ft at around 10.5 Nautical Miles from Runway 25L.

(20 f) “Karachi Approach” advised repeatedly (twice to discontinue the approach and once cautioned) about excessive height. Landing approach was not discontinued. However, FDR shows action of raising of the landing gears at 1740 ft followed by retraction of the speed brakes (at a distance slightly less than 05 nautical miles from the runway 25L). At this time, the aircraft had intercepted the localizer as well as the glide slope. Flaps 1 were selected at 243 knots IAS, the landing gears and speed brakes were retracted. Over-speed and EGPWS warnings were then triggered.
They gear was down, and then it was raised as they got closer, per the FDR information.
Switchology thing, or deliberate? I think that I understand the speed brakes retraction, but not the gear coming up.
CVR may shed light on that.

For A320 sim instructors: do you see raising the gear unintentionally very often in the sim?