PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How does the new NAS improve Air Safety in Australia?
Old 27th Nov 2003, 16:22
Capt Claret

Bottums Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Colonel

This shoud be interesting.

From an initial perusal of Enroute and Terminal charts, it seems that Control Steps are easier to work around, mostly they seem more concentric now than perhaps in the past. This must help somewhat.

However, whereas in the past one could remain in CTA for an entire flight between controlled airports, one may not be able to do that.

How Class E can be called controlled airspace when only IFR are controlled has yet to be explained to my satsfaction.

I read another post somewhere, which I understand to be suggesting that in part NAS is to allow VFR greater use of the airspace, by allowing entry into Class E without needing a clearance, or to neccessarily be on the same frequency. If my understanding is correct, and that's the view of the wider VFR fraternity, I'm worried.

It's a long time since I've flown VFR, however, I don't ever recall being denied a clearance to operate in CTA or any discouragement to do so. It almost seems that NAS is to allow VFR greater freedom without the attendant responsibility.

In short, I don't see that NAS improves safety one iota. Rather the opposite actually.