PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2020, 03:52
Manchester Exile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The obvious question in the freight debate is this: Is Manchester losing freight to airports that are *outside* of the MAG group? If the answer is no - and OzzyOzBorn mentioned at the start of the debate that freight enquiries into Manchester are being redirected to East Midlands - then there really isn't an issue. From a MAG perspective, it doesn't matter if the freight is being flown into East Midlands or Manchester.

If airlines are being turned away from Manchester and then flying to non-MAG airports, then there is a debate to be had. But even in this case, you would think that MAG bosses have done their due diligence on whether it's economically worthwhile to win new freight routes. If parking stands and other infrastructure can be used more profitably by passenger aircraft, then you have to respect that business decision.

I'm not privy to any information as to what freight routes have been lost / turned down at Manchester, so I don't know the answer to my own question. But Manchester Airport is part of a group of airports operating as a single business, so a significant decline in activity at Manchester is not necessarily indicative of a loss of revenue for the overall group.