PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell-Boeing start CMV-22B production
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2020, 15:43
SLXOwft

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts
(C)MV-22 and F-35 Engines

Originally Posted by tdracer
Which is one disadvantage of the Osprey - from the Air & Space article I linked previously:

Quote:
On the plus side, the CMV-22 will fly farther with more weight—1,150 nautical miles with a 6,000-pound payload on a tropical day, versus 850 nm for the C-2. It will use a palletized cargo system that sailors can load beforehand, meaning it will spend even less time on deck than the bulk-loaded Greyhound. Vertical takeoff and landing makes for slow approaches to the carrier and ends the need for hair-raising, airframe-stressing arrested landings and catapulted takeoffs. The first CMV‑22 pilots are training to land at night, a task all but mythical for the C-2.

But the Osprey also has a few strikes against it. It has less interior space, and so cannot carry as many people or as much cargo; nor will it fit an assembled F-35 engine inside its protective canister, one of the COD’s primary requirements.
TDRacer, as I am sure you are aware, the article is somewhat disingenuous regarding F135 transport - it doesn't fit inside the special container but it can be carried as GreenKnight121 said.

The (US) Marine Corps can transport their F135-PW-600s for '35Bs in MV-22s in what I will call a suboptimal manner (the engine is exposed to the elements during (off)loading).

NAWCAD Cargo Lab Refines Skid for F-35 Engine Power Module

NAVAIR says the USN will be using the CMV-22s to move F135s for its F-35Cs. I assume using the same methods.

CMV-22 ferry flight demonstrates successful fusion of developmental, operational test

I hope the (UK) Royal Navy will get the same capability at some distant point. Also the RoRo refueling and RoRo ISAR capabilities.