PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2020, 11:46
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
What a mess.

Looking at the graph of speed and altitude, I suspect that just before 5 miles the pilots realised (finally !!) that they were not going to make it, so they raised the gear and stowed the speed-brakes to execute a discontinued approach.

Then suddenly the G/S pointer came off the end stop, and they changed their mind and went for the landing - forgetting the gear was up - and as many have pointed out; the 'gear not down' warnings would have been suppressed by their excessive speed

I wonder if the Captain was having some sort of stroke or other mental issue or heart attack - his decision making seems truly bizarre - although if that were the case why did the F/O not take control?

I am sure many of us have flown past TOD, at one time or another either because we were held up by ATC or were momentarily distracted for some reason. Airbus aircraft will say "Decelerate", and in most cases it is very easy to gently regain the profile. Even if all that fails, ATC will help by adding track miles at your request or allowing an orbit - and ATC advised the pilots several times in this incident.

None of these options were taken by the pilots. Maybe there was a fumes event in the cruise which the pilots did not detect, so they did not don their oxygen masks, and were mentally befuddled.

Ah, Sikpilot, you beat me to it