PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Group possible Redundancy Numbers/Packages
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 07:12
V-Jet

Received 59 Likes on 29 Posts
I'd love to be wrong but the recent history of QF (which to my mind predates Elaine) shows they will never do the 'right' thing when the cheaper option that screws everyone is available.

Even if it means holding the Govt of Australia and any others to ransom - see the shutdown. Wee Elaine is, after all, SUCH a BIG and IMPORTANT man.

Currently, as far as airlines go in Australia, they are in a pretty decent position to do just that. They are incompetent airline/business managers (though they would argue even more strongly now that they aren't) but they are very competent political managers and extremely adept at extracting cash for their own (personal) purposes. There is also a very strong overseas precedent of sacking anyone you can, that you must consider.

Comments like 'The FAAA are still in consultation about....' is a totally meaningless comment. How long did AIPA (to pick one example) have to sit through meetings of nothing month after month when record profits and a CEO getting $25m were in play?

To show my age and quote 'The Youmg Ones'; Qantas management are utter, UTTER BASTARDS. And totally incompetent business managers because they do NOT care about the company. They ONLY care about their OWN tenure and unbelievably lucrative salary package - which, I would like to point out, would not be replicated if they became redundant for any reason. Do not for a second think that anyone of junior management level and above will sacrifice a single dollar (or cent) of their own personal income to help the company (and far less, any employee). They simply don't understand the concept of company morale, nor what is the 'right' thing for the business. Qantas is nothing but a cash cow and anyone in management will sacrifice anyone else (not themselves, obviously) to ensure their personal financial survival.

Management know there will be a Govt backing for their own salary - as long as they cut costs. It's as clear to me (as it should be to anyone else) that Elaine and his management 'team' are worth the $50m++ to steer the company through this unprecedented period, but that doesn't leave much else for those left under them. The company is losing billions and existing on taxpayers funds. I just can't see very much money left for those doing the clearly minimal actual work... And ESPECIALLY (see comment above) those already marked for termination.

Last edited by V-Jet; 23rd Jun 2020 at 07:30. Reason: Grammar