PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Air Law (AALW) Study Technique
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 02:17
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
Not really.

Over the past year or so I have found myself back in the theory teaching arena (one of my early loves from the 70s/80s back at Noel Lamont's AAA at EN) and, for my sins, I guess, I end up scoring a fair bit of air law at all levels (life can be a bit cruel, I guess).

Points I would offer -

(a) it's open book. While you (eventually) need to know a lot of the stuff as memory material just for the practical side of things, the fact that the exams are open book allows you to work up progressively to the end goal.

(b) read, and re-read, and then re-read some more, all the relevant books. While you are reading, you are (or should be) thinking about what it is you are reading and, progressively, the stuff sort of sinks into the back of the brain cells. Open book is fine, but there is this little nuisance of a time limit so you really do need to have a good facility to find things .. and that requires a pretty good knowledge of what is where and so forth. There is no short cut - the various texts on the market are fine but they don't cut the mustard unless you end up knowing the books pretty thoroughly inside out.

(c) it is an unfortunate fact that CASA, over the past decade or two, has moved more resolutely to a legalistic turn of phrase in the rule books and that doesn't make it easier for any of us to work out what it is that the rules might mean (excluding the likes of John M, Guy P. and like ilk who have a foot in each camp) No easy way out of this other than just to read and re-read and keep reading and think about things (with a dictionary to hand, at times).

Several folks have made similar observations in the earlier days of the thread and those comments still win the day.