PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Harris a 'colonial warmonger'
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 01:09
veep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Easy Street
This thread isn’t about Colston, it’s about Bomber Harris’s alleged views on colonialism. My response was to Asturias’s general argument on judging the past by today’s standards. He may have been answering a point which cited Colston as an off-topic example but didn’t limit his argument to that. Nice try at ‘cancelling’ my post by linking it to the current figure of opprobrium though

[The better modern analogy to Colston in my example is an oil baron. They are trying directly to destroy the planet in the way you seem to be claiming Colston was trying directly to kill slaves. And sure enough, there is already angst over the legacies of men such as Rockefeller, and artists are refusing oil company patronage. Yet still Asturias drives his car. Hell, even those artists still drive their cars! Best that none of them end up on a pedestal...]
I think that's quite a harsh response to what I wrote, I have no intentions of "cancelling" anyone.

The oil baron analogy is inaccurate though. The Slave trade was not essential to society the way that oil is to us today. Far from it. Further the working to death of slaves was integral to the business model of the Royal African Company.