PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2020, 21:40
OzzyOzBorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can't possibly be seriously suggesting AMS's importance as a cargo hub is in any way, shape or form, relatable to MAN?
No. And I didn't suggest that. Neither for tulips from Amsterdam nor for luxury sports cars from Malpensa. The product profile differs from one region to another. But the point I did make was that all-cargo flights and passenger schedules with underfloor space can co-exist quite successfully at the same airport. A matter about which certain entities at MAN are in constant denial.

Though, since you mention it, the 17.4 million population of the Netherlands is slightly below that claimed as falling within MAN's catchment area. So there is room for at least a little ambition. Decent industrial base to go at too.

How nice of you to be so concerned about cargo at MAN from so far away.
But very close to the home of one of MAG's largest shareholders! Though I think SYD has the edge over MEL myself! :-)

But that doesn't suit your narrative does it?
The narrative of being a perpetual apologist for the negativity, failure and lack of ambition which typifies MAN's attitude to cargo business doesn't sit well with me. You're quite right, mate. Business leaders in competing regions must be euphoric.

I perceive that your rant (and those of others on this subject) is really about being upset at not being able to willy-wave anymore.
Rant. Defined as any point of view which you don't agree with? OK. The willy-wave reference is intriguing. So many on here seem to imply extensive experience of this. I feel I must have missed out on a whole dimension of life. We're a bit sheltered in the outback. Well, till we step out into the sunshine. Then it isn't very sheltered at all. But I digress.

There would be runway and ATC charges for all freighters, but as most cargo comes in the belly of pax aircraft, there is not a lot of revenue coming in this way and any sum would be a very small proportion of the overall. There is no throughput charge for freight and handling fees will go to the handling agents. The main source of cargo -related revenue will be via rents etc of the cargo buildings on the airport site.
Well, absolutely. Competing for business of this sort is just so tiresome. Why bother? These are the scraps we grandees can leave for the hoi-polloi. Can't have B747-8F's occupying stands at MAN ... stands constructed to handle real planes. Important ones! And the only metric worthy of consideration is the flow of cash into MAG's own coffers. Never mind all the other employers on site. And jobs in the NW. And as for supporting the Northern Powerhouse Partnership by developing MAN to its full potential ... yeah, lip-service to that is quite sufficient. Let no feathers be ruffled in the towering spires of MAG Cargo. The strategy is beyond reproach. Manchester has got it right again and every other airport's business practices are a bunch of dingo droppings. -85.9% is a great result. Hold those heads up high.