PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Positive Rate
Thread: Positive Rate
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2020, 20:23
tcasblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Positive Rate

These quotes below(of which I have removed some info I felt to be non-pertinent were made on another thread.

Originally Posted by Dropp the Pilot

Training for positive rate/climb identification is based on teaching pilots to recognise a positive V/S trend and increasing RA."

Two wrong
statements in less than twenty words

Neither of these things are "positive rate". A V/S trend is a measure of vertical acceleration. It will happily read a positive vertical rate with both main gear planted on the runway with say, a gross error in take-off performance calculations or wind shear. RA is valueless for rate as the reading which the pilots see is a product of an algorithm of pitch attitude and gear tilt and is by no means a direct reading of actual height.

The ONLY measure for positive rate is a sustained and progressive increase in the altitude displayed on the altimeter.

Should you doubt any of this, consult any FCTM from a company called Boeing. They've been doing this stuff for quite some time.
Originally Posted by silverstrata
Well said.

In addition to your reasoning, inertial vertical speed indicators will show a false positive rate of climb, on rotation.

Silver
Subsequently I found a note mine for a particular modern aircraft that says.....

VSI indication comes from the IRS, therefore when the nose is raised, there will be a positive climb indication even though the main gear is still on the runway.

So would most agree that the VSI is not a good instrument alone to use a determining a positive rate of climb for gear retraction after rotation and that the positive rate indication is initially due to the IRS moving upward.