PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Harris a 'colonial warmonger'
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2020, 17:22
Easy Street

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by veep
Rather than simply existing within a society in which he indirectly benefited from slavery, Colston was instrumental in pioneering Britain's role in the slave trade. In modern day terms it's perhaps less comparable to owning a car or taking flights and more comparable to spearheading the efforts of a private corporation to commit genocide.
This thread isn’t about Colston, it’s about Bomber Harris’s alleged views on colonialism. My response was to Asturias’s general argument on judging the past by today’s standards. He may have been answering a point which cited Colston as an off-topic example but didn’t limit his argument to that. Nice try at ‘cancelling’ my post by linking it to the current figure of opprobrium though

[The better modern analogy to Colston in my example is an oil baron. They are trying directly to destroy the planet in the way you seem to be claiming Colston was trying directly to kill slaves. And sure enough, there is already angst over the legacies of men such as Rockefeller, and artists are refusing oil company patronage. Yet still Asturias drives his car. Hell, even those artists still drive their cars! Best that none of them end up on a pedestal...]

Last edited by Easy Street; 22nd Jun 2020 at 17:47.