PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2020, 15:50
Expressflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
helipixman

While I agree with some of your points, you really do display an element of paranoia regarding the risks that the average person faces from Covid-19. Do you feel the same way regarding influenza I wonder. OK, there is a annual vaccine but if I recall correctly a couple of winters ago the flu vaccine was somewhat ineffective as that winter's strain had mutated from that anticipated and for which the vaccine had been formulated.

I'm a healthy 71 year old who needs to take reasonable care against catching Covid-19 so I shall not fly this year but I have not isolated myself from the rest of humanity for the past 3 months as I think that would be worse for my health, both physical and mental. I just take reasonable precautions and try to keep my situation in perspective while maintaining an acceptable quality of life within the guidelines. Those of my generation who have chosen to live a totally sheltered life due to extreme nervousness (and I know a number who have not set foot out of their homes) have my understanding and sympathy but they can do so without impacting on the ability of others to earn a living and contribute to rebuilding the economy. If extreme poverty, both monetary and socially, is allowed to result for some and for others a deterioration in their health that will result in shortening their lives, is that an acceptable price to pay for total 'safety'? I don't think so and the time has come, with a better understanding of the nature of the beast, to relax the restrictions so that the economy can begin to recover and that includes the right for people to travel for leisure if they wish without them being labelled pariahs. I live in a coastal town that lives or dies by its ability to attract tourist from other parts of the UK and that ability must be restored with some urgency if its economy is to be rescued.