PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spinning advice from 1936
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2020, 13:47
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Anyone without spin training has no chance, as seen a couple of years ago when an ex-airline captain with ten times my number of hours spun his C152 off a steep turn with fatal result.
Well, honestly, for a C152, letting go after doing whatever you did to enter a spin, and it will probably find it's way out on its own, with enough altitude. It is noteworthy that aerodynamically, the C152 is identical to the Aerobat versions, which can be recovered from a six turn spin (not as much fun as it sounds). I am aware of fatal spins in C150/152's from altitude, I have never understood how the fatal part was accomplished.

And, recall that the certification standard for single engine planes also requires that it be impossible to create an unrecoverable spin with any use of the controls. So, with enough altitude, and any attempt to either let go, or recover, a 152 should come out.

Though I am a strong proponent of spin training for every pilot, I reluctantly agree that most accidental spins are entered at altitudes too low for a recovery anyway. That fact that a few pilots carelessly spin and die in an unrecoverable situation does not mean that is should not be trained - at least to an awareness level.

I only spun the Canadian Moth a couple of times, about 40 years ago, but nothing stuck in my memory as being unusual, other than we did it on skis rather than wheels. The Moth I check flew a few years ago handled delightfully, though as they were maintenance check flights, post rebuild, I only stalled it, no spins.