PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Harris a 'colonial warmonger'
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2020, 12:33
Easy Street

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
"Slave trade was nothing unusual at his times" So was hanging people for stealing a lamb - just because it was "usual" doesn't mean it was right - even at the time.
Fast forward 200 years to a world in which burning fossil fuels has joined capital punishment and slavery in a list of things our predecessors once considered ‘usual’ but are now considered beyond the pale. Should posterity judge you (yes, you personally - let’s assume you have made some notable contribution to society) as being irredeemably tainted by the fact that you continued to use a car and take flights despite the harm this caused? I mean, it’s hardly as if you can claim ignorance of the effect such actions have: we justify our individual ‘wrong’ through custom, convenience and the comforting thought that everyone else is doing it because the alternatives are expensive, so you’d only be punishing yourself if you stopped. Would you be so deserving of future condemnation?

Now I’m not arguing that burning fossil fuels is directly comparable in terms of human suffering to my other two examples - maybe some would though! - but I am using the example to point out the real problem of casually ascribing ‘rights’ and ‘wrongs’ to past actions, even when taking developing philosophies of the time into account.