PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2020, 07:23
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by BEagle
That was 30 years ago and before my time at the Brize Flying Club - I would hope that local airspace users are better informed these days....

There used to be exaggerated claims from the Vigilant operators of GA aircraft "...in our airspace". In truth few if any were closer than 2nm or 2000ft a.g.l. to Little Rissington.

Perhaps (as in one of the only 2 Airproxes in the last 3 years), some people simply haven't realised that Air Cadet gliding has made a welcome return after the Vigilant fiasco?

Better publicity is certainly needed - but an ATZ???
Could be served by an annotation of the glider cable hazard height as with other gliding airfields but then in my experience, few GA pilots take notice of this; I used to warn countless aircraft every day about the cable hazard at Lasham and still people thought it was all right to fly over the airfield at 2500ft QNH. As Rissy is higher than Lasham amsl, the glider hazard will be higher too plus as it's a government airfield, surely it would be possible to notify an ATZ as 'Sat,Sun and PH HJ; OT by NOTAM' especially as there is a discrete frequency to call them on. As a precedent, Halton has an ATZ notified daily '0900 - 2000 or SS +15 (1 hour earlier in summer)'.
Simples?