PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 21st Jun 2020, 21:52
Nickedname

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for flying career

Hi all,
I seek your advice as I plan to pursue a career in aviation in Australia.
Corona will make things very difficult for an inexperienced pilot over the coming several years so I feel it's important to go about my studies gradually and with a plan in mind.
Initially I had intended to fly rotorwing, though decided against this reasoning the career path more difficult than fixed wing and the mid/late career earning potential heavily favouring an airline job. To scratch a helicopter itch I can always fly as a hobby in the future.
I'm 26 and have sufficient funds to cover my study and living expenses without relying upon full-time work. I'm not interested in pursuing an office job in future or continuing in self-employment at present so thought investing in myself and a flying career to be worthwhile.
I had intended to commence an integrated course early next year however will instead opt for a modular route and gradual self study with textbooks and online resources. When I return to Australia I was thinking of relocating to Townsville. Can you recommend schools/aero clubs/contacts in this region for me to consider? I thought it might also be beneficial to take excursions to other places across the state and elsewhere to build hours, diverse experience and networks.
I've been keenly reading the advice posted here about suggestions for new students and the nearterm uncertainty caused by coronavirus. As a result I'm thinking to acquire my PPL and gradually chip away at hours and theory exams. I'll delay finishing my CPL until international travel returns and only then should i start adding IR, multi engine and other endorsements.
Its not fantastic timing though perhaps not off by much if I can acquire my CPL in mid 2022. I believe that within the next 4-5 years the industry will rebound and that this crisis and the coming economic crisis (note: you should not be buying stocks here, you should be playing defensive) will present a new opportunities.
Thanks for any advice you have.