PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Bovingdon - 1960s
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2020, 19:56
OUAQUKGF Ops

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Accident P40E Warhawk 41-36028 at Berkhamsted 23-9-1942

John Young lists the presence of P40s in his Bovingdon diary. During 1942 two and in 1943 one Curtiss P40E Warhawk aeroplanes were based with the 8th A.A.F. at Bovingdon. They were used for fast liason and other general duties. Both aeroplanes were destroyed in fatal accidents. I'll mention here that I'm downloading excerpts from the original accident reports and the quality leaves much to be desired. However it's worth a squint.

Berkhamsted (in 1938). Looking North-east. Small highlight gives approx location of crash site on L.M.S. Railway.

Aftermath looking North.

David's Home was on Castle Hill Avenue which is to the right and above the houses in the foreground.The view is to the south-east. Impact point (approx) and Bovingdon Aerodrome high-lighted.

I suppose this is the equivalent of what we used to call the tech log. It shows that the aircraft has just had an air test on September 21st following replacement of much of the tail-plane. This was due to damage, caused by diving in to the propellor wash from B17s , which the P40 had sustained during simulated attacks. On the day of the accident the aircraft was once again tasked to do this but crashed before the exercise started.

The Thomas Coram Foundling School. Some staff members saw the starboard elevator flutter to the ground and retrieved it. Postwar (and still) Ashlyns School just off Chesham Road.. Approx location of crash site high-lighted.

A very experienced Captain and perhaps his first flight in a P40?

Captain William K Knowles. Described by Brig.Gen. J. Kemp McLaughlin as 'a very senior Captain we called "Pappy" . We all went to the American Cemetery at Madingley for his funeral, for everyone loved him'

Whipsnade tomorrow........

Last edited by OUAQUKGF Ops; 22nd May 2023 at 13:28.