PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Harris a 'colonial warmonger'
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2020, 19:51
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Jenns, you've made the decision to not share your age, but based on your writing I'm pretty sure you're much younger than I am (as well as most of the people who have posted on this thread).
You are making a classic mistake - you are applying 21st century morals and standards to what happened during WW II, without taking into account the actual circumstances of the time. Although born ten years after the war ended, I grew up surrounded by people who had lived through it and many that fought in it - not just my father. Many of my teachers and the parents of my neighborhood friends were WW II veterans - and I often heard their stories (and consider that most vets would not repeat the stories of their most traumatic experiences). It was quite simply a different time, and the war was fought by different rules (with the Axis often ignoring even the rules of the time).
One of my favorite books regarding the US submarine war in the Pacific is an autobiography by George Grider - "WAR FISH". In the introduction he talks about the morality of "unrestricted submarine warfare". Basically sinking - without warning - any ship flying the enemy's flag (aside from hospital and related ships - something that the Japanese knew and reportedly took advantage of). A generation earlier, "unrestricted submarine warfare" was considered by the Allies to be a war crime (the Germans actually abandoned the practice for a while due to the worldwide uproar - only reinstating when their plight became sufficiently dire). Yet during WW II all parties practiced it without reservation. Grider acknowledges that the crew on those merchant ships he sank were often civilians (and that many certainly died), but that those ships carried war materials - materials that were going to used to kill Americans and other Allies. So by sinking those Japanese merchant ships, he was saving American lives, and that was not just his job, it was the reason he was out there. That same philosophy was the justification for dropping the A-Bombs on Japan - getting Japan to surrender without an actual invasion undoubtedly saved hundreds of thousands of American casualties and millions of Japanese casualties. Prior to that, the US had tried precision bombing of Japan - and failed miserably. It was only after it became obvious that precision bombing wasn't going to work that the decision was made to resort to fire bombing - again with the aim of destroying the Japanese ability to fight and to bring the war to an end.
Equating the inevitable civilian casualties resulting from "unlimited warfare" to the systematic and intentional genocide of an entire race of people (not to mention millions of other so called 'undesirables') simply demonstrates how badly the modern education system has failed.