PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red White and Blue Voyager
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2020, 13:31
SLXOwft

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by BEagle
Well, I really don't understand all this whingeing....

A Voyager painted appropriately in national colours will be worthy VIP aircraft, although ideally there should be 2 as turning up in a grey jet would reflect badly.

I hope that HM was asked for Her approval of the final design?
I hope so too but I don't think Boris would recognize subtle hints of regal displeasure.

My cynical mind wonders if the garish scheme is not partly a plan to stop HM and other senior royals exploiting first come first served (and causing manufactured outrage as in the May v PoW non-story). I hope she insists on Royal Air Force not United Kingdom. The design reminds me of a remaindered 2012 Team GB mountain bike helmet I bought for one of my children from Halfords. It should be repainted in a scheme that gives subtle understated reflection of UK identity.

In the current climate, the design might seem overly "colonialist" in certain commonwealth countries where politicians might not be above exploiting it. Especially inappropriate in HMQ's overseas realms which she or her representative visit in her capacity as the local head of state.

Also agree there need to be two, surely post C-19 there will be cheap civil A330s with business/1st layouts to be had for lease - true there will be additional costs for comms, defensive measures etc. avoiding the need to use another AirTanker Voyager. (I am assuming they didn't manage to get exclusive rights to VIP transport using A330s.) Not just for servicability but duplicate calls, I assumed post Brexit HMG will be making lots of marketing trips for "Global Britain" - if the original conversion saved substantially on charters surely that makes sense.

Last edited by SLXOwft; 21st Jun 2020 at 09:53.